Tuesday 2 September 2014

Crazy Quilting Sampler with Button-Button

I'm also taking part in this swap over here.  I can't just do as I'm told so instead of making a square, I made a circle.....and covered both sides.  And, I sewed the pieces onto wadding instead of fabric.  I pieced it by the stitch and flip method explained on Julie's blog here.  I didn't sew up to the outside 1/2" and turned those to tidy the sides of each 'arm'.  I've no idea what happened on the right-hand side?!?  I just whip stitched the edges.


This will be the right side

This will be the wrong side

Then I whipped stitched the edges together to make a bowl.  I used the Christmas scraps that Michele gave me at the last Icknield Quilters evening.  

This is the bowl sewn together with some of the stitches that Julie showed here and here.  Julie uses a wall paper seam roller for pressing like I do!  You can't see the stars I embroidered up the joins on the front or the herringbone stitch joining the sides on the back or the button-hole stitch around the central circle.  Just as well, I think!!
Right way up!

Wrong way up!


I'm going to make more bowls as we had the most inspiring talk by Sheila Cetti who showed lots of her quilts and fabric and yarn bowls which she just tossed across the room to members!  You can see some images from that evening here.  I'm making a more traditional crazy quilted bowl at the moment, using the first photo on Julie's Pinterest board here and will use most of the stitches on Julies' pages.

I'm also taking part in Julie's Orange Peel Quiltalong here but just cannot decide on my fabric choices - oh make a decision! I really liked Brioni Greenberg's Petals, which was a workshop at FQR, so will likely use this colour combination.

1 comment: